Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 1997 21:58:21 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "John D. Smerdon" <jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tomcat II SMP video problems

Hi,

> At 10:52 AM 2/1/97 -0700, Steve Passe wrote:
> >options		SMP_INVLTLB
> >
> >set when using APIC_IO?  this is MANDATORY (but ONLY with APIC_IO).
>
> I had it set with and without APIC_IO.

I seem to remember that setting SMP_INVLTLB *without* APIC_IO causes the
one error you reported previously:

>current process = 5 (cpuidle0)
>trapnumber = 29
>panic (cpu#0) Unknown/Reserved Trap

the Unknown trap is a result of trying to do an IPI via the APICs when
they are not programmed.  bottom line for everyone:

SMP_PROBLEM:

dependancies of APIC_IO and SMP_INVLTLB not properly documented.

you MUST either set BOTH APIC_IO and SMP_INVLTLB or set NEITHER.

--
solution:

don't do it!

--
proper fix for code:

add #ifdefs to code to abort build when improper combinations are attempted.

---
> A just compiled a kernel without APIC_IO and SMP_INVLTLB and it works!  I
> just rebuilt most of the kernel with a `make -j 8`

so the question is why a kernel with APIC_IO *and* SMP_INVLTLB doesn't...
can you verify that this is true, ie have you tried that combination?

---

> >this smells like hardware to me.  I believe this board is the one that had
> >a problem with its cache module.
>
> The motherboard came with the "new and improved" cache module.  I have been

could you document for us how one determines whether they have the "new and
improved" module?  serial #, model #, ???

---
> >the only thing that jumps out is having ep0 on IRQ15, try to keep everything
> >off of 14 & 15.
>
> While trying to get a configuration that worked with NT, FreeBSD, and PNP,
> I stuck the ep0 on IRQ 15.  I can try to move it somewhere else and see
> what happens.

this was a shot in the dark.  I seem to remember someone claiming that tyan
had a problem with reassigning 14 & 15 as they are "reserved" for the 2 IDE
channels.  since the IDE circuits are in the same chip as the 8259 ICUs
it is possible that there are some limitations, but I have no concrete
facts either way.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD