Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:00:25 -0500
From:      "Jayson Anderson" <jayson_anderson@ins.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.2 boot kernel / AT Keyboard problem

Hi

Quick question for those who may possess a quick answer:

As I discovered today, the kern.flp image provided with FreeBSD 3.2 does not
contain
AT style keyboard support. This is confirmed at boot with the 'keyboard:no'
message.
The 3.2 ERRATA.TXT statement on the FreeBSD website claims
this is due to lack of space, and that one should press the space bar to
bring up a 'boot:'
prompt. It is also said that after this occurs, one can type '-Dh' at the
boot prompt and the
AT keyboard will work hereafter.

Perhaps this is an isolated incident, but in practice today, the space bar
and multiple space bar/waiting
combinations never yielded my 'boot:' prompt.

Does anyone have any input or other knowledge of how to coax the AT keyboard
to work ?

Multiple known good keyboards were used and the port itself is known good
under other unices.
The boot disk(s) is known good via booting on other ps2 style machines.
The hardware configuration in the machine is known conflict-free via other
diagnostics and unices.
The CMOS in the machine sees the AT port and is configured to use it.

Building a custom boot image seems to be shunned by the FreeBSD website,
saying it is a process that
is not a viable solution under 3.2 due to completeness of the imagemaking
process.

Any input would be appreciated,  and thanks

jayson anderson