Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 13:04:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Terry Lee <terryl@CS.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Boot manager gone after Windows95

On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Terry Lee wrote:

> Okay, I just installed Windows 95 over my dos partition.  It seems to
> have wiped my Boot Manager so I can no longer access my FreeBSD
> partition.  The old sysinstall boot disk used to let you just write the
> MBR, but I couldn't get the current boot disk to do it for me.  What to do?
>
> Terry
>
> P.S.  Does Windows95 have a new file system or did they just hack the old
> one?

Arghh!!!  That happened to me too..  That's one of the WORST things about
Windows 95, it just wantonly erases your Master Boot Record without even
asking you!  Fortunately, you can just snag a copy of BootEasy from FreeBSD's
FTP server (in /pub/FreeBSD/utils) and run it from DOS (exit out of
Windows 95 first or it won't have the proper permissions to write the boot
record).  As for the Windows 95 "VFAT" filesystem, it's just the old FAT
with long filename support hidden in some extra bits.  It should still
be compatible with FreeBSD, but you will see truncated filenames of course..

At work I installed Windoze 95 on a system running Windows NT/DOS/Linux.
Did the same thing to me, and it was a bit more difficult to get LILO going
again since I had to run it from within Linux, whereas you can run BootEasy
from DOS...

---Jake Hamby
jehamby@lightside.com