Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:46:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        imp@village.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kludge-o-round for 1 3.2 STABLE NFS problem

>Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:33:41 -0600
>From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>

>We were having all kinds of problems using NFS on locally mounted file
>systems (that is, the client and server were on the same machine).....

I encountered similar symptoms back when I started here, at around
2.2.6-R.

My circumvention was to hack the amd maps in such a way that amd would
recognize when the client & server had the same name:

* If not, do the usual NFS stuff;

* If so, instead of providing the illusion of an NFS mount, provide the
  illusion of a symlink.

This is what allowed me to get anything at all done for the past several
months....

I *thought* I had sent a note to one of the freebsd lists about it,
including some of the stuff in the amd maps.  If it appears to be of
use, I'm certainly willing to share.

(The note to the effect that "a weird imagination is most useful to gain
full advantage of some of all the [amd] features" is well-advised.)

And of course, I freely admit that the approach merely masks the
problem.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915