Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:28:29 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet Another bug in src/Makefile

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Sep 19:
> > > 'make -DCLOBBER world' will not remove /usr/include. It will remove
> > > /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include instead...
> >
> > why should it remove /usr/include??  /usr/include is not used for the
> > building of the resulting binaries install.. why not do a rm -rf /
> > if you want to clean out the area your installing to... :)
>
> This is false.  The build for libkvm references outside the source tree
> (specifically, an absolute reference via -I).  This was why I hacked
> the symbolic links for multiple kernel tree builds (earlier posting).

are you sure... my tree reads:
LIB=    kvm
CFLAGS+=-DLIBC_SCCS -I${.CURDIR}/../../sys

last I checked, this isn't out of the src tree...

> There are other builds which also reference out of the build tree;
> anything which references <sys/*> or <machine/*>, in particular,
> references /usr/include.  A reference to <machine/*> can't be

can you show me these mythical references to /usr/include??  I reciently
committed a bunch of changes to fix improper use of -I/sys...

> resolved without /usr/include/ since it refers to the postinstalled
> headers from /usr/src/sys/i386/include/ into /usr/include/machine/.
> The <net*/*>, <arpa/*>, <*fs/*>, <rpc*/*>, and <vm/*> references are
> all in this boat, as well as others from package/base installation
> (<tcl/*>, etc.), if installed.

ok.. then why does my build tree
/usr/obj/a/home/johng/FreeBSD-checkout/current/src/tmp/usr/include,
include ALL of the things you listed above??

> > of course there is good argument that the installed to area should
> > be clean to prevent old files from contaminating a setup...  but
> > if we start to clean out /usr/include, we should also do /{bin,sbin}
> > /usr/{bin,share,sbin,lib,libexec} and any others that get installed...
>
> The argument is that the installed area should never be used for
> system build, since you may be building a cross-environment.

umm... this isn't the case Terry...  when was the last time you built
world on a -current machine w/o your local patches??

> You either need to build the machine link as part of the build, or you
> need variant symlinks (whole other kettle of fish) to deal with the
> architecture variant headers for cross-builds.

see above... it's already happened...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD