Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:05:19 -0500
From:      "Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)" <mraught@acm.org>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   can't assign resources -- Sound problem?

Hello all,
    I am running 4.x stable and getting some weird errors on boot. I've
been getting them for a while (since 4.1 or 4.2) I first noticed them
when I got the sound to work, but they may have been coming up
beforethen, and  I decided, finally, to look into them. I think it may
have something to do with the sound since it is detected in the middle
of the errors, but I'm not sure. Information follows:

The laptop is a Compal TS30T which is the same as a Dell Inspiron 3500
or an HP OmniBook 4150. It has 160MB of RAM.

flash:data# uname -a
FreeBSD data.mraught.homeip.net 4.7-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE
#0: Tue Sep  3 06:22:06 EST 2002
root@data.mraught.homeip.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DATA  i386

and the relevant part of the dmesg:
<all normal>
ppc0: parallel port not found.
unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
pcm0: <CS423x> at port 0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 9 drq 0,1
on isa0
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0510> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
</all normal>

I can post the whole dmesg if anyone is interested or thinks it matters.
The only other things I can think of that may make a difference is a
Linksys wireless card and X is still 3.x since I have cvsup'ed since
before 4.x was the included standard. (and since 3.x caused me some
problems I'm sure 4.x would too. But I sure love Blackbox)

Anyhow, any help or pointers would be appreciated.

thanks,
-mark