Date:      Sat, 05 Jun 2004 09:02:20 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: All my amd64 problems appear to be KSE

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 07:22, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:

> > > How were you using libpthread?  It's best to use libmap.conf
> > > to map everything to libpthread so that libc_r isn't pulled
> > > in by libraries still linked to it.
> >
> > This is a completely rebuilt machine from a working i386 install that
> > has tracked -current forever.  There is absolutely nothing that is
> > compiled and pointing to libc_r.
>
> Sorry, unless you have tried using libmap to map libc_r to
> libpthread, I don't trust that.

I would have to say that is extremely myopic of you.  Regardless of
whether you trust me or not, it doesn't change what I have reported.
kse is broken in some respect on amd64.

For my own assurances, I have done the following:

find / -name "*.so*" -exec ldd {} \; |& grep libc_r

result was

/usr/lib/libc_r.so.5:
/usr/lib/libc_r.so:
ldd: /usr/src/lib/compat/compat22/libc_r.so.3.0.bz2.uu: not a dynamic
executableldd: /usr/src/lib/compat/compat3x.i386/libc_r.so.3.gz.uu: not
a dynamic executable
ldd: /usr/src/lib/compat/compat3x.i386/libc_r.so.4.gz.uu: not a dynamic
executable
ldd: /usr/src/lib/compat/compat4x.alpha/libc_r.so.4.bz2.uu: not a
dynamic executable
ldd: /usr/src/lib/compat/compat4x.i386/libc_r.so.4.bz2.uu: not a dynamic
executable
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64/usr/lib/libc_r.so.5:
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64/usr/lib/libc_r.so:
/usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc_r/libc_r.so:
/usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc_r/libc_r.so.5:

So as I stated earlier, there is absolutely nothing on my system that is
compiled and pointing to libc_r.

It is my opinion that it is always better to give a person the benefit
of doubt regarding a claim.  What I am looking for here is something
constructive in a way of suggesting things I can do to assist in
tracking down the problems I have seen.  Can anyone give me ideas?  I'm
sort of stuck with this because

1) gdb doesn't work with attaching to a process that uses kse.  This
makes gnome's crash dialog and reporting mechanism non-functional.

2) I've tried --disable-crash-dialog when executing an application but
that doesn't seem to have an effect.  The crash dialog keeps getting in
my way.

I need some way to get these applications to dump core so I can take a
look at a backtrace.  Any help in accomplishing that would be highly
appreciated.  Hopefully it will help in resolving the issues with kse on
amd64 as well.

Cheers,
Sean