Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:28:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum experiences.

>>>>> "Brad" == Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> writes:

Brad> At 8:28 AM -0500 1999/12/1, David Gilbert wrote:
>> 1. Removing a device (at least, with the ahc controller) locks the
>> bus even though I have a RAID hot-swap ready chassy (that properly
>> isolates the bus between commands).  In my test, I had a completely
>> quiet SCSI bus when I removed one of the drives.  I then wrote to
>> the RAID array.  I got:

Brad> 	Vinum does not (currently) support any kind of hot-swap
Brad> capability.  See <http://www.lemis.com/vinum/bugs.html>; and
Brad> <http://www.lemis.com/vinum/wishlist.html>.

Actually, I don't think this is a vinum problem.  It appears that the
SCSI layer locks hard when a drive is missing, but I could be wrong.

>> 2. It's not obvious how to replace a dead drive with vinum.  I have
>> tried several times to perform this action without success.  Vinum
>> attach says it should do it.  It refuses.

Brad> 	Assuming that the system has been safely shutdown and is
Brad> physically powered off, I believe that the following process
Brad> will work:

Brad> 	1.  Remove the old drive, noting it's physical position in the
Brad> SCSI chain, it's SCSI id, it's termination status, etc...

Brad> 	2.  Replace the drive with an *identical* new one (same model
Brad> number, same number of heads and platters, same firmware
Brad> revision, etc...), and make sure that the new drive sits in the
Brad> same physical position in the SCSI chain, has the same SCSI id,
Brad> same termination status, etc...

Brad> 	3.  Reboot the machine.

Brad> 	4.  Bring up vinum (but don't attempt to mount the affected
Brad> filesystem) and init the drive.

Brad> 	5.  Use the "rebuildparity" command to start the recovery
Brad> process.

Brad> 	6.  When complete, try mounting the filesystem.

Brad> 	Of course, I haven't actually tested this procedure (and I
Brad> hope I never have to), so YMMV and use at your own risk.

Problem is that we have to program for this case... if it doesn't
work, then there's literally no point in vinum supporting RAID-5.

The big problem is that the barrier-to-entry in this experiement is a
few thousand $$, and people likely only get to work on it in the few
weeks between equipment arriving and equipment going into production.

Dave.