Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 2015 19:16:59 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports requires pkg 1.6.0, but 1.5.6 is the latest available

"Roger Marquis" <marquis@roble.com> writes:

> For the vast majority of ports and packages it won't make any difference
> whether they are installed are from head, quarterly and/or archives (in my
> experience, options dependencies aside).  Isn't the issue here a dependency on
> the version of 'pkg' being enforced by 'pkg'?  If so shouldn't this be fixed
> in 'pkg'?

Sort of. The issue is that trying to build some ports on head requires
the version of pkg that's in head; the version that's on the quarterly
branch won't do.

pkg(8) is more sensitive to this than other ports, because it is used
for installing into the production filesystem, but it could happen with
many ports. The scenario is that a port on head depends on a recent
version of another port, and that other port is still on an older
version on the quarterly branch. Most ports will work, most of the time,
but if you install some things from head and others from quarterly,
there *will* be cases occasionally where the dependencies of a port on
head cannot be met by the ports on quarterly.

As far as I can see, if someone wants to use the quarterly branch with
pkg, they will have fewer problems if they use the quarterly branch for
building from source as well. That means checking out the quarterly
branch from Subversion, which the Handbook doesn't currently explain how
to do. [The portsnap ecosystem, as far I've been able to determine, does
not support branches.]

In short, there is nothing broken in pkg(8) per se. I am pretty sure
this problem does not come up if you do everything from quarterly or
everything from head; it's strictly an issue of conflicts between the
two. Furthermore, I suspect that if the original poster had updated his
quarterly-branch version of pkg to the head version, he probably would
have been able to build the other port from the head tree.

There are a few places where I may have gone wildly off the track. The
most likely one is that real conflicts between quarterly and head may
be vastly less likely than my estimate; in that case, the measures
described by bapt@ would be the optimum achievable strategy.