Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:01:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        marcd@internode.on.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem building kernel (4.1S to 4.1.1)

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 08:41:40PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >

> > marcd@internode.on.net wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm currnently running 4.1 Stable on my system and am trying to upgrade to
> > > 4.1.
> > >
> > > I CVS'ed my sources Sept 27,  I can go succesfull build the sources except
> > > for the kernel. (using make buildworld) but then I try and build the kernel
> > > it dies.  When I try and manually build the kernel (i.e config, make depend,
> > > make etc) it dies with the following
> >
> > You have already deviated from the methods specified in
> > /usr/src/UPDATING. Try doing a buildkernel sequence instead of the
> > config method.
> >

> Is this not caused by /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep{,_stub}.c not being
> changed to real files rather than symlinks and the users source tree not
> being updated correctly?

I thought the links caused a cvsup error and should have been caught
there. Then, I came to the same links conclusion about 0130 last
night. I finally got a build out of CodeCrusader (the make files
barely work and that is being kind) and looked at the error messages
differently for a change. The license change to softdeps (softupdates)
and the side effects it produced is something you don't see viewing
the files history on http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/. In hind
sight, a comment on the links probably should have been included in
the cvs-log when the license text was changed. It is only 3 months
later and we are starting to forget about the side effects.

I've been keeping copies of my cvsup logs as cvsup-"date".log and
started at one point to use the cvsup.log browsing tools from
Polestr's tarball that you pointed out. I never did find all of the
files you directed me to and ended up downloading Ben's cvsuplog. I
finally figured out recently that it had everything built-in that I
had been doing manually. I just need to write a shell script that runs
cvsuplog and automatically adds a timestamp to the html output
filename. In the end, I think all of the scripts would save me from
having to do a locate and then use cvsweb.cgi, which makes it vastly
easier to follow the -stable changes.

Kent