Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:44:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mikael Hybsch <mhybsch@rsasecurity.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any ideas on keeping the disk spun down on laptop

In <200102112211.f1BMBCL23187@ptavv.es.net> you write:

>Has anyone looked into making update(4) not do any disk IO when there
>have been no changes to metadata? And, is there a way to extend the
>update period? Or am I completely off base in my belief that update(4)
>is the source of the continuing disk accesses.

You need to mount all your partitions with the noatime option. Otherwise
the system will try to update the last access time each time some daemon
reads a file (even if the file is cached).

I also disabled atrun in /etc/crontab and my laptop can now stay real
quiet for a long time. (Running atrun in itself doesn't start the disk
if all the files are cached, but cron/syslogd would then write a log entry
in /var/log/cron every 5 minutes).

--
 Mikael Hybsch                        Email: mhybsch@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security AB                      Phone: +46-8-7250900