Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:10:55 -0600
From:      Mcclain Looney <mcclain@looneys.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best IDE for slow system?

On Thursday 21 February 2002 08:57 am, j mckitrick wrote:

> I use gvim and ctags (somewhat) but I don't know much about ant.  It
> is like the java version of 'make' correct?

yup. works really nice, i have a simple 1 liner ant macro you can find at
vim.sf.net (or whatever that site is).  get jikes too.

> How do you design GUIs?  I guess that's the biggest reason i like the
> IDEs.  For C/C++ i only use gvim/xemacs.

i design guis the old fashioned way, by hand, which may be why i'm rarely
ever asked to build guis.

"visual" gui builders generally are more trouble than they are worth (good
luck if you ever need/want to reformat your code, or switch ides).

as gui builders go, netbeans is probably the best i've seen, followed by
jbuilder.

-mcclain