Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:14:32 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more make install questions/FreeBSD memory questions

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, alissa bader wrote:

> howdy, I've been trying to install perl on my machine using the ports
> tree.  I've used CVSup, then I cd'd to /usr/ports/lang/perl5, then I type
> "make install clean."  It works up to the point where the FreeBSD patches
> are applied, then it says, "2 out of two hunks failed, saving rejects to
> Configure.rej."

{...}

When the patches fail, its because the source that's being patched is
enough different that the context in the patch can't be matched to the
source.

This can happen when an updated source tarball is released with the same
name, although ISTR that we have and MD5 signature matching system to
minimise this.  Also various problems can arise when using a current ports
tree with out of date ports system makefiles (which aren't in the ports
tree itself).

In addition to keeping the ports tree uptodate via cvsup, have you
verified that the makefiles for the ports system (in /usr/share/make IIRC)
are uptodate?  The ports page on the website includes a number of ports
system "update kits".

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia