Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:26:32 -0700
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wine causing x bus error

On 04/17/12 13:34, Rusty Nejdl wrote:
> On 2012-04-16 21:17, matt wrote:
>> I've been trying with no success to get a 3d game running under wine on
>> amd64.
>> Wine in general works fine, just crashes whenever any opengl/d3d stuff
>> happens.
>> It works on wine with Linux, so I know this isn't a "simple"
>> incompatibility.
>>
>> The program launches, but as soon as it attempts to detect 3d drivers, X
>> terminates with (hand transcribed):
>> Bus Error 10: at address 0x802cf30d7
>>
>> I'm running amd64 with xf86-video-ati.
>>
>> I've tried running the latest package from mediafire, compiling my own
>> package using the patch, as well as using a i386 chroot with the
>> standard wine from ports. Mesagl and libdrm are installed in the chroot.
>>
>> Interestingly, trying to run it over SSH on a linux system also kills X,
>> although with a segfault.
>>
>> They all have the result above...is this related to the wine address
>> space issues on the wiki?
>>
>> Is what I'm trying to do not possible? Or are there other steps I can
>> try?
>>
>> Matt
>
> I don't have much to add on this except that ATI drivers are iffy on
> BSD while Nvidia seem to have deeper support.  That's my guess as what
> you are running into.  I have no clue why X-Forwarding crashes X.
> That makes me think that this isn't a wine issue but fundamental
> instability in the ATI drivers on FreeBSD.
>
> Rusty Nejdl
The screen it's forwarded to is Linux with gallium intel drivers, fwiw.
Wine appears to be the only way to crash ati drivers, actually I've had
great experiences thus far with xf86-video-ati otherwise, i.e. never
crashed and seems to have good performance for the card (it's a 4650, so
well into the "supported" category).

The behavior sounds quite similar to the problem the nvidia-patch.sh
script seems to be fixing for nvidia users. I'll take another look at
it, but I think it's doing something with libGL.so...

Something makes me think it's a bug in running wine on amd64 that is
triggering an X bug, i.e. x shouldn't crash here, but also wine is doing
something wrong to crash X whether ATI or intel drivers. I don't have an
nvidia card to test with unfortunately.

Matt

Matt