Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:06:15 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mirroring one drive to another...vinum?

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> You mean the man pages on your system, and not the web pages, I hope.
> To quote the web pagess:
>
>   This document contains preliminary information about Vinum. It is
>   not as bad as it used to be, but it's still not complete. If you
>   find something confusing or just plain wrong, please let me know and
>   I'll do something about it.

	Web pages...and I did read the disclaimer before diving in, but
at:

	http://www.lemis.com/vinum/The-big-picture.html

	It explicitly states that vinum enforces a minimum of 3 subdisks
for a RAID-5 plex...what I want to do is mirror da0s1a->da1s1a,
da0s1?->da0s1?, etc...which, to my understanding, isn't even RAID-5, but
RAID-1...

	Basically, I want to mirror my system disk to a second drive on
the same size/make, so that if one dies, my whole system doesn't go
poof...

	Then gain, I just checked 'man 4 vinum', and it also states it
requires a minimum of 3...

	Please note that my use of RAID=1 is from the Solaris/DiskSuite
environment...I'm new to it with FreeBSD/Vinum :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org