Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:16:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's changed recently with vmware/linuxemu/file I/O

:I do have one question -- for the app we care about (vmware) the pages
:in the mmaped file will apparently be wired.  Is there any reason why
:we couldn't just skip wired pages in vm_object_page_clean()?  It seems
:like there's no point in cleaning a wired page because you won't be
:able to free it anyway, so it doesn't matter if it is dirty...
:
:Thanks,
:
:Drew

    As far as I know vmware is not wiring pages down.

    vm_object_page_clean() is called from higher levels to clean a specific
    range of pages in an object.  For example, I believe it is called
    from msync().  We obviously do not want to prevent it from cleaning
    wired pages!

						-Matt