Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:02:33 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Paul English <penglish@hydro.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing XFree86 from port - will disrupt clients?

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 10:03:12AM -0700, Paul English wrote:

> 	I've had different experiences installing upgrades from ports
> while users are using the software. I'm particularly concerned with
> XFree86. /usr/X11R6 is being served from a central NFS server and all of
> the clients are using X. Will they be disrupted if I do a "make install"
> to upgrade XFree86 4.1.0 to 4.2.0? The config files should be the same,
> and in any case shouldn't be put in place by the install. But all of the
> libraries are going to change out from under a running system.

It's definitely better to perform upgrades while the system is
quiescent.  Especially when those updates include new shared libraries
--- you do want all your users to quit all their X applications which
have those shared libraries mapped into their images, or the space on
the filesystem used by the shlibs won't be released.

Probably easiest is to wait for a quiet time, get all your users to
log out and then un-export the shared filesystem and do the install.
For ultimate sanity preservation, there's always the option of
dropping the machine to single user mode to do the install.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK