Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:49:03 -0600
From:      BobF <FBob@wt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMP,Interrupts and SILO Overflows with KDE

  I am currently running an Abit BP6 with 2 Celeron 500mhz proc.
and 128m sd100 ram with a Digicom Systems 56k
external modem.  3.2R with SMP in kernel.

The glitch happens when I change desk-tops in KDE during a down-load. I
get anywhere from 1 to 15 silo overflows each time I switch.
I have tried other loads on processors such as pkg_add, play MP3,
daily cron jobs and have no problem.
I believe the problem is with the system and
the way handles interrupts with dual processors.
I do not have the problem when running with a single processor.
I have tried increasing the receive buffer size from 16 to 64k with no
effect. I have decreased the baud rate to the modem which does decrease
the number of overflows but does not eliminate them.
 Any ideas or suggestions?

BobF

Email: FBob@WT.NET