Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:09:59 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to get RealTek 8139C+ to work with re(4) under FreeBSD 6.1

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 06:55:58PM +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:

 > On 08/14/06 18:39 Pyun YongHyeon said the following:
 > >Recent changes from wpaul disabled re_diag() routine by default so it
 >
 > i disabled re_diag() in /usr/src/sys/dev/if_re.c, and that caused the
 > kernel trap to go away, as per my original email. also, see my followup
 > email (to myself) in which i disabled the check for the 8139C+, forcing it
 > to be recognized by the rl driver and this seems to make it work.

AFAIK 8139C+ provides 8139 compatible mode which doesn't use
descriptor based transfer mechanism. As you know this mode
really sucks and need much more CPU power to saturate the link.
So I don't think it's good idea to make rl(4) serve 8139C+.

 > >However I've seen one user reported re(4) breakage on stable.
 > >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-August/027356.html
 >
 > that seems to be exactly the problem i initially observed as well.
 >
 > >Please try latest stable and show your results. If it still does not
 > >work please let us know. I don't have 8139C+ based NICs so it would be
 >
 > i am on a recent stable, circa two weeks ago as well. have there been
 > significant changes to the re driver since ?

Yes. What `ident /boot/kernel/if_re.ko` shows?

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon