Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 18:23:06 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
Cc:        gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960801-SNAP--Problem with SMC 10/100 card and SMC 100mb `tiger hub'

Robin Cutshaw wrote in message ID
<199609140113.VAA28902@intercore.com>:

> > I've noticed that running the 2.2-960801 snap causes the de driver to
> > fail to link up to the 100mb SMC tiger hub that we're experimenting
> > with.  It always reports
> >
> > de0: enabling 10baseT port
> >

> I had to add "link2" to the ifconfig of the device to get it to
> switch to 100Mb mode.  Autosensing doesn't seem to work.

There is a known problem in -current wrt. the if_de code. Apparently
David Greenman has a set of patches in his inbox to fix them, but they
haven't surfaced yet. On a -current machine here I suspected the
driver may have locked up the machine (pure speculation btw), so I
dropped the 2.1.5-RELEASE driver in without problems.

Gary