Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 06:48:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      john_campbell@swbell.net (John Campbell)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   scsi drive problem

My machine recently crashed while doing a 'make buildworld' and things
are really screwed up.=20

I get the following when I boot:

/dev/rda0s1f: CANNOT READ: BLK 655424
/dev/rda0s1f: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;   Run fsck Manually

So, I go the the shell and run fsck and get....

(da0: ahc0:0:6:0): READ(06). CDB 8 10 ca 1f 70 0
(    ""       ):  MEDIUM ERROR info: 10ca6a csi:2,92,10 asc: 80,0
(   ""        ):  VENDOR SPECIFIC ASC sks:80,0

CANNOT READ: BLK 655424

**** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY ******
**** RERUN FSCK *******

This happens over and over.

I go to the ADAPTEC (2940) and run the verify tool.  It shows a bad
sector at #0010CA6AH.  It asks if I want to remap that sector.  I say
yes.  Rerunning the verify gives the same error and nothing seems to
get fixed.

I can mount the partition (/usr) read-only in single user mode and see
my files.  I attempted to mount it ro in /etc/fstab, but it won't boot
to a dirty filesystem.

Is there any way to get to my files?  I am coming back to this machine
after planning my wedding for the last few months only to find out
that my backups were not running.  I know this isn't a very good
excuse, but that's beside the point. =20

This machine is on a network.   Can you access a machine in
single-user mode?  Probably not.

My last resort is to buy another scsi drive, install FreeBSD on it,
and try and mount that partition.  Then I could copy my files off of
it.   Or could I buy a tape drive, hook it  up to it and make a quick
backup?
I'm not sure if I can do this in single user mode.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas let me know.  And please, no
lectures about backing up.  I blame it all on my new wife.  :-)

jpc