Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:20:59 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        z thompson <cublai@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting MFS?

z thompson <cublai@earthlink.net> types:
> Could someone shed some light on what the advantages are of mounting an
> MFS RAM disk on /tmp?  I was thumbing through the kernel chapter in "The
> Complete FreeBSD" where Lehey talks about mounting your swap partition as a MFS
> on /tmp.  Specifically he says that this will be "useful if you have a lot of
> swap space that you want to take advantage of[...]"  What I don't understand is
> how or why your swap space will be more useful mounted as a mfs as opposed to
> not?

Well, what I like is that using mfs causes /tmp to be cleaned out
across reboots, whichi I think is a good thing in general. You should
also see more throughput, because both sync and async writes can
complete without actually writing to the disk. You could try mounting
/tmp in async mode, but if you're going to create a file system for
/tmp, might as well add it to swap.

	<mike