Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 17:58:53 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Walid Nehme <walidn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw and ipfilter

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Walid Nehme wrote:

> what is better, ipfw or ipfilter,

Define better. They're both very good packet filters. There are some things
you can do in ipf which you can't do in ipfw and vice versa.

> and which is newer?

They're both actively maintained. So, I think neither is newer.

> which is faster to nat with?

I haven't done any scientific tests to prove it, but I supose ipnat is
faster than natd, because ipnat runs in kernel mode and natd runs in user
space, so you need to copy the packets from kernel to userspace and back.

You need to try both and use the one which fits your needs better.

			Fer