Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 05:18:42 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS for virtual hosting

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:15:15 +1000  "Doug Young" wrote:
 +------------------
 | Last question for Monday morning (in OZ) ... Is there something else more
 | explicit than "TCP/IP Network Administration" in the way of entry level
 | documentation on this area, bearing in mind that since there are only a
 | dozen or so machines on the local LAN / WAN, and only one "virtual host" I
 | only need the barest essentials to get the thing working ??
 +------------------

If you want to learn more about administering DNS you might want
to look at the O'Reilly book by Cricket Liu et al.  Also resource
listed at http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/ can be usefull.

Your ISP will probably be happy to handle all your domains for you.
Simply make a request of them should be enough.  Your systems will
only need to be "stub" resolvers with a properly configured
/etc/resolv.conf.  But if you want to do it yourself it is realy
not as hard as some of the documentaton makes it sound.

If you have any specific questions then I or others on the list might be
able to help.

chris
--
    Chris Fedde