Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:05:08 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        Sean Peck <seanp@loudcloud.com>, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, <lplist@closedsrc.org>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com?>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> > I don't know if the DURON is faster when overclocked, I personally stay
> away from
> > overclocking, I don't need it.
>
> I doubt if the Duron is faster overclocked or underclocked.  It's just the
> Thunderbird with less cache.  Less cache != faster (at the same cache speed)
> as far as I've ever known.

	After thinking about it, it may be that the Duron is faster
because at the price you pay for the Duron, you can overclock it to a
Thunderbird that costs more but only compared to a 1Ghz Thunderbird.

> > The only differences between the Athlon and the Duron is on chip cache,
> and speeds
> > of the front side bus, if I am not mistaken.
> >
> > Athlons have larger L2 Cache I believe than the Durons,
>
> That is the only difference.

	That's what I thought, 4x is what I heard.

> > and are available with up to a 200MHZ bus.
>
> They both have a 200mhz bus.  Not up to, but 200mhz.

	Wouldn't that factor alone make it smoke the Intels?

> The FSB is 100 or 133 in both. (Not talking about DDR and new boards)
>
> Just say it this way, "Duron is a Thunderbird with less cache".

	Atleast it sounds better at AMD than it does at Intel.  A Celeron
II is a Pentium III with 1/2 the cache, higher latency cache and 4way
cache instead of 8 ways.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin