Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2017 23:47:32 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netstat interface output

> On 24 February 2017, at 20:43, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
> I am starting to develop a nagios check for errors on interfaces.  =
However, there are some issues with the entries in netstat that I don't =
understand.  Each interface has multiple entries:  one for each address =
and one for the link.  It would seem to me that the link counts would be =
the sum of the other address entries, but it is not.  Often it is way =
off.  At first I thought it was possibly caused by overflows of the =
counters since most systems have been running for months.  However, =
checking one system that was only up for one day, the ip4 count was =
considerably larger than the link count.  This is shown in one of the =
examples below.
>=20
> This is layer 2 vs layer 3 info.
>=20
> To set static IP info see:
>=20
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html

Thats how the static IPs are configured.  They work fine after a reboot. =
 However, after awhile those addresses disappear.  Therein lies the =
problem.

=E2=80=94 Doug