Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 18:01:28 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        erich@uruk.org
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you get the SMP code

> I'm also about to make a public release of the new bootloader I've been
> working on.  That has consumed a lot of time as well.

You may want to send an email to wpaul@freebsd.org who has lately taken
to look at bootstrap stuff.

> I had re-written the probe and startup code for Linux-SMP, and am willing
> to do so for FreeBSD (given that I don't mortally insult anyone :-).
for doing work for us ??  You must be kidding...

> Do you guys have any particular preference for how it's done in
> FreeBSD ?
no not really.

> It turns out that the whole "NCPU" thing in Linux was (and is, as I
> have to submit patches because people are constantly breaking it)
> a pain in the ass.
>
> At the very least, it should be changed to "MAXCPU", with dynamic
> activation of CPUs up to the maximum (this is what Linux does, though
> they still call it NCPU).
That's how our NCPU is intended.  We hope to keep the size to < 64bytes
per cpu if we can...

> Ideally (this is what I'm going to do for Utah's Mach4 distribution),
> it should just be "options SMP" and dynamically allocate CPU structures
> as necessary...  and if it doesn't find other an MPS configuration, it
> will still function without getting confused by the possible lack of
> a local APIC on the CPU.

Yes, that would be nice, but until I have some numbers that tell me
what the extra indirection means, I'm kind of reluctant to do so.

Nasty question time:  Can part of the local apic registers be used
as "per-cpu registers" without too much performance penalty ?

I would really love to have one or two 32bit registers local per CPU
to speed up all this stuff...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.