Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:12:42 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal for ethernet, bridging, netgraph

-On [20000426 22:45], Garrett Wollman (wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu) wrote:
><<On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:31:00 -0500, "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com> said:
>
>> But bridging is a layer-2 operation.  Shouldn't it happen with the
>> layer-2 processing, not in the driver for the physical device?
>
>To quote Dave Clark:
>
># Layering can be a good way to design protocols, but is not necessarily
># a good way to implement them, if you care about performance.

Correct,

but there is also a difference between a more cleaned up and structured
approach and the current `let's patch it' approach.

I have already been discussing some things with C. Stephen about
producing a bit of a smallish paper investigating the current stuff,
what could be changed, what problems we currently have with the code,
etc etc.

Kind of like the VM restructuring, the newbus structuring.

I am sure that I cannot do this completely on my own, and I think it
would benefit everybody if we would concentrate on this piece of code
for the coming time.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands