Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 1995 09:32:27 +0100
From:      "Philippe Charnier" <charnier@lirmm.fr>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   libcompat.so, ld.so and .so one

Hello,

Because of crashes already reported, I can't stay FreeBSD running more
than 3 hours.

I removed libcompat.so.2.0 as this library is not longer created and I
built `routed' using libcompat.a (maybe `routed' should not use
libcompat?).

I have a C++ program that need additional libtiff and libm. I can't link
it because libcompat.so not longer exists. I rebuilt libtiff but the problem
still occurs. So I decided to rebuilt ld and others (ld.so).

There was a system panic while installing ld.so :-( and this file was
corrupted. Fortunately I was able to copy the one from a 2.0.5 system
(my `last chance' bootable disk).

There is a system panic each time I want to install the current ld.so
(freeing busy page), and after 5 attempts, I installed `install' but
no change.

I am now thinking that the kernel was corrupted as well during the
crash and installed it again but didn't reboot with it yet.

I have 2 questions:

- What do I need to recompile, do remove the `no libcompat.so' message?
- What is the correct action to restore ld.so when corrupted?

Have a nice day,
Philippe Charnier                                      charnier@lirmm.fr

         LIRMM, 161 rue Ada, 34392 Montpellier cedex 5 -- France