Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:14:09 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        David Carter-Hitchin <david@carter-hitchin.clara.co.uk>, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help With 'find' Syntax

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:34, David Carter-Hitchin wrote:
> Hi Drew,
[snip]
> You may find the following note from man find helpful:
>
> # All primaries which take a numeric argument allow the number to be pr=
e-
> # ceded by a plus sign (``+'') or a minus sign (``-'').  A preceding pl=
us
> # sign means ``more than n'', a preceding minus sign means ``less than =
n''
> # and neither means ``exactly n''.
>
> So that is why I put a "+" in from of 1024 - to find files over 1024 by=
tes
> (c).
>
> So in your example below:
> > find /usr \( -mtime 6 -ls -size 100 \) -o \( -ctime 6 -ls -size 100
> > \) -print
>
> You are trying to find files that are exactly 100 512k blocks in
> size. Admittedly the files you found were not of this size=20

At each stage find applies the test argument and passes on files that
remain to the next argument for manipulation. This in the first 'or' bran=
ch
everthing that satisfies -mtime 6 is passed on to -ls and thus displayed
before it is filtered by the -size 100 argument. To do what Drew wanted t=
he=20
-size +100 should be applied *before* the -ls.

(It is difficult to see why Drew would want to use both -ls and -print)

> and I don't
> know why they were found - I can replicate this on my machine here, but=
> don't know why - perhaps it is the file allocation.  This is why I chos=
> 1024c instead of block size.

Malcolm Kay