Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:52:37 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Tom Hukins <tom@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Move "search" from /usr/ports/Makefile to bsd.port.mk

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 08:56:04PM +0100, Tom Hukins wrote:

> This type of thing can be done very easily with my FreeBSD::Ports::*
> Perl modules:

Cool.

> > And that will work and give the desired effect (tested), but it will
> > be slow.
>
> Yes, parsing the INDEX file is slow. Version 0.02 of my modules will

Well, the reason the first of my two suggestions would be slow is not
because it has to parse INDEX.  It's slow because it doesn't even use
INDEX but essentially regenerates the INDEX.

[If I'm remembering my suggestion correctly -- I didn't check].

> hopefully use Perl's Storable, or something similar, to dump out a
> parsed version of an INDEX file.

grep parses it pretty quickly.  :)

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.