Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 14:44:41 -0400
From:      Ben Eisenbraun <bene@klatsch.org>
To:        "Timothy S. Bowers" <security@nol.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reverse or not

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 02:53:10PM +0200, Timothy S. Bowers wrote:
> When I do this:  # telnet 127.0.0.1 25
> It takes around 30 seconds to connect to the local exim mail server.
> Actualy..  it takes long from anywhere.

It might be waiting for an ident to timeout.  Most of the major MTA's
do an ident/auth check (TCP:113) when you connect to them, and if your
machine is just dropping those requests, then the MTA waits for the
request to timeout before displaying the banner.

I can't think of a good reason it would do this for localhost
connections though.  Is the machine running a firewall?  Maybe
net.inet.tcp.restrict_rst: 1 would do it?

To verify if this is actually the problem, you could fire up
tcpdump and listen to see if Exim is initiating an ident
request.  You could also set the sysctl value net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain
to 1, and connection attempts to closed ports will be logged.

Good luck!

-ben