Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:46:41 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        chris@tourneyland.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hoping to configure DNS

Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>
> >       The fact that A) You failed to answer my question as to why you want a
> > nameserver in the first place,
>
> So that he can resolve hostnames? I'd rather run a nameserver than
> maintain /etc/hosts (yuk!) on multiple machines, and a local caching
> nameserver can speed up resolution of remote hostnames if they're used
> often.

	This is one of the reasons I asked. Unless your ISP's nameserver is
significantly hosed it's just as fast to use theirs, and you get the
additional benefit of A) not duplicating DNS traffic and B) all of the
additional cache in their nameserver from all of their other clients. It's
extremely rare that a local caching nameserver actually speeds anything up
for an ISP customer, and even then it should be configured with a
"forwarders" directive, which is definitely beyond the realm of simple
setup.

Doug