Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:37:51 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URL and Opinions on how to really learn something

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 10:15:01PM -0700, rick hamell wrote:
> > > 	-an explanation of files, what they do and why the're there.
> >
> > What particular files?
>

> 	Well, for one, the various configuration files.

Hmm, yeah, that's a pretty common puzzle for newbies. "The various
configuration files" is a problem I know well, but it's really hard to
state exactly what the problem is or what needs to be done about it.
A while ago my email signature described my main FreeBSD activity:
find / -name "*.conf" |more

> Also, what and why you want different directories,

One of the pieces of "common knowledge" that doesn't usually make it
into unix tutorials is man hier. It's a man page that explains why
all those directories are where they are and what they're supposed to
be for.

> /USR and /VAR on different slices.

And *that* is a matter of religion :-) You'll find a lengthy discussion
on it in freebsd-questions a while ago. I don't think you'd expect it
to be in a unix tutorial, it's more specific to the type of unix and
personal preferences.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-