Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 17:19:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Diffs to the dump utility, rewritten with respect to your , comments

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Andreas Klemm wrote:
> >
> > main.c - line 167:
> > 		abort dump if a blocksize > 32 (K) was chosen using
> > 		dump's "b" option, because restore is unable to restore
> > 		dumps with blocksizes over 32 K. Someone said here,
> > 		there might be a bug in the scsi tape driver. This
> > 		should be fixed as soon as possible.
> > 		Users/Administrators are now protected from the worst
> > 		case situation, that they can't restore their dump if
> > 		they choosed a blocksize over 32. Dump does it all fine,
> > 		but later, &@&%" ;-) "So this patch prevent's dump from
> > 		being a BOFH tool ;-))"
>
> While i personally think that mentioning the bug in the man page would
> have been sufficient, this workaround should at least be marked with
> XXX, until someone has fixed the driver.

Well, if I remember right it did so (XXX) :) Sorry folks, that
I don't have the experience to track down errors in a SCSI driver.
Otherwise I'd fixed the bug instead of making a workaround.

But since I know, how busy you are, I thought it's better than
nothing at all.

> Anyway, Andreas, as i've also written in a Usenet reply, i can *not*
> confirm your observation.  I've done a couple of tests on a 2 GB
> HP-DAT drive (forgot the exact version number, mail or call me at work
> if you're interested), and everything worked fine.  Even an attempted
> blocksize of 96 k did work.  Suprisingly, since i know that the driver
> can only handle 64 k -- but it silently truncated the blocksize to 64
> k, both on read and write.  So everything was okay.

Hmm, writing wasn't the problem I think it did so ... but restoring
leads to kernel error messages from the scsi driver ... as I wrote
to this list several weeks ago.

I had made that experience with a 5 GB Sun DAT ( Archive Python
with data compression ).

> I suggest you clarifying your point also with Julian Elischer, and/or
> Justin Gibbs (dunno which adapter you're working with).

I'm working with a AHA 2940 narrow scsi controller and FreeBSD
stable. Currently I don't have access to the DAT, it's on the
ACS in Frankfurt. If I get it back next week, I could try it again,
since the SCSI driver code has changed 2 times or even more since
that time, where I discovered this odd behaviour.

Regards

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH