Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2012 23:37:50 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Rob Clark <rpclark@tds.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GENERIC make buildkernel error / fails - posix_fadvise

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 02:24:41AM -0500, Rob Clark wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:15:50 -0500
> John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:11:10 pm Rob Clark wrote:
> > > System: Dell 600sc
> > > Currently running: 8.2-RELEASE
> > >
> > > In attempting to update this system to 8-STABLE I did
> > > what I usually do to update a system (see below).
> > > make buildworld completes successfully, but make
> > > buildkernel does not. I usually create a custom
> > > kernel, but for this system I went with GENERIC as
> > > is.
> > >
> > > The error message is:
> > > /usr/src/sys/kern/init_sysent.c:568: error: invalid
> > > application of 'sizeof' to incomplete type 'struct
> > > posix_fadvise_args' /usr/src/sys/kern/init_sysent.c:568:
> > > error: 'posix_fadvise' undeclared here (not in a
> > > function) *** Error code 1
> >
> > This sounds like you have an incomplete tree that only got part of a change
> > (specifically, /usr/src/sys/sys/sysproto.h seems stale).  Have you tried a
> > different cvsup mirror?
> >
> > --
> > John Baldwin
>
> Sorry for the late follow-up, just got the system
> up and running yesterday.  It appears that choosing a
> different mirror did the trick.

Can you please disclose what cvsup mirror you were using?  This kind of
problem may be affecting other people, so you may want to report it to
freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org to make the maintainer of the mirror aware.

Otherwise, ""corruption"" (for lack of better term) between what's in
/var/db/sup and what's on your filesystem is something I've seen before,
particularly when changing release tags in a supfile.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc@parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                     http://www.parodius.com/ |