Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:02:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does building current on 2.2.x still work?

nik@iii.co.uk wrote:
> Every time I see this suggestion posted, someone else jumps in with "But
> it didn't work properly for me.", which is why I haven't put it in the
> tutorial yet.

I sent a message (the one with the *grumble*) to this list asking people
having trouble to send me private mail with the details of the problem.
So far I've received a total of ZERO private mails on this subject.
I can only conclude that when people follow the procedure, there is no
problem.

> John, if you're happy, with the following, I'll add it as 5.3 to the
> tutorial (bumping everything else on one). Can anyone else supply an
> accurate value for 'x'?

I don't think this is the way to word it. Anyone building -current needs
to allow for the possibility that changes might have been made to the
.mk files since the last installation on their machine. We all expect that
sources in the tree are consistent so that /usr/src/Makefile should only
be interpreted by make in conjunction with the .mk include files that are
also in the tree. To ensure that this consistency is maintained and the
world has the best chance of building, novice world builders should
_always_ use the -m argument "just in case" IMHO.

The fact that it is often possible to build without the -m argument
should be the thing that is left undocumented. We shouldn't need to
make special mention about building -current on 2.2.6 when there is
a "command for all seasons" that is backed by logic.

FWIW, when we've got an ELF only build, people building on an aout
system will get even worse errors if they have out of date .mk files.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137