Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:21:26 -0800
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (OT) tutorial on apache's cookies anywhere

I'd like to know if anyone has run across a good tutorial on
building/configuring apache to use cookies in a virtual host environment
for just one domain on a server.  I'm especially interested in making sure
that apache doesn't send a cookie for every request (ie, gifs and jpgs) but
only for the html page requested or cgi generated pages and such, so I can
simply track unique visitors (later I'd potentially like to be able to
customize content).  I see on apache's site I need to compile it with the
mod_usertrack module and enable it with the CookieTracking directive, but I
have seen too many sites that send a cookie on every single request which
is utterly annoying.  I'm guessing I ultimately want apache to set/check
the cookie on specified requests and also have the log file record the
unique cookie id.  I'm also guessing I want to set the cookie at the server
level and not as a part of each web page on the site, which for a variety
of reasons is going to be impossible.  And I'd really like to learn about
deciding what requests cookies get set on.  The apache faq and Apache Week
sites weren't much help and searching on hotbot hasn't turned up anything
yet.  Anyone run across a tutorial anywhere...
Jerry