Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2012 11:52:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Dave Robison <daver@vicor.com>, Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>, Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi@niif.hu>
Subject:   Re: [ANN] host-setup 4.0 released

David Teske wrote:
> [...]
The basics are in RFC4291, but I think that inet_pton(3) knows how to
deal with it. (I think "::" can be used once to specify the longest #
of 16bit fields that are all zeros.)

After inet_pton() has translated it to a binary address, then the macros
in sys/netinet6/in6.h can be used to determine if the address is a loopback, etc.

I'm no ip6 guy by any means, so others, please correct/improve on this, as required.

rick