Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:35:39 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jim Stapleton <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: a number of widly varied questions [FreeBSD 6.0; stdc++6, Xorg/Drivers & issues, one KDE issue]

On Thursday 30 March 2006 09:48, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> Sorry if some of these aren't all exactly appropriate for here, but
> this seems like the best place to ask for a number of them,
> especially given my system is FreeBSD, and I've gotten everything
> from ports. I'm putting all of this in one email as just a
> not-so-quick, quick overview, and to ask if I should do everything in
> one email, or should I split it into several emails?

	< snip >
>  Regardless, my monitor (Samsung 712N) likes 1280x1024, Xorg refuses
> to run at anything but 1280x960 (which isn't even in my
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file). I expect in answering this my xorg.conf and
> my Xorg.0.log file will be desired quantities, but this is just an
> overview mail, and I don't want to waste space until I know this
> group is right for this question, or you are going to ship me off to
> one of the xorg lists (which I can't seem to find on their site).
> I'm using the "dri" driver module. Also, on an athlon64, and a 64 bit
> installtion, what's the best way to get the drm module working?
> ports/graphics/drm-kmod wants an i386 compile (and while I'll be
> setting up a i386 cross compiler for open office, I seriously doubt a
> 386 kernel module will be happy in a 64 bit kernel).
>

> Thank you for your time,
> -Jim Stapleton

I can help you with the monitor part. I have a Samsung 712N that runs at
1280x1024.

Towards the end of xorg.conf there is a section that looks something
like this:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Card0"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection	"Display"
		Viewport	0 0
		Depth		24
		Modes	"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection

That's what's in mine, and thats what gets the 1280x1024 display.

You're also going to have to look for something that looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
	#DisplaySize		340	270		# mm
	Identifier	"Monitor0"
	HorizSync	30.0 - 81.0
	VertRefresh	56.0 - 75.0
#	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

I think using 'Xorg -configure' will generate a pretty good xorg.conf
file (actually xorg.conf.new) that you can look at, make changes to,
and test with 'Xorg -configure xorg.conf.new', you'll have to use
^Backspace to get out of it, but you'll find out if you've get things
set right and if the mouse is working.

Don