Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 18:48:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Caching

Can someone explain the added intricacies of caching in a multiprocessor
environment a moment?  I know this can be a really complicated subject if
all the details are extruciatingly covered (write-thru, write-back, etc),
but my question is really pointed at making me understand why it costs so
much for a Pentium p6-200 if you include 512K of cache (it ups the price
over 600 bucks per chip).  Does the old P5 incur the same penalty?  Does
not getting the p6 with cache make me incur a large penalty?  Would a p5
with cache be equivalently quicker, mhz for mhz, than a p6 without it?

Thats the kind of stuff I'm flailing around with, in trying to determine
what kind of smp platform to buy.  Help!

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |