Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:48:58 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "David Xu" <davidx@viasoft.com.cn>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: F_DUPFD close-on-exec flag and Posix compatible

David Xu <davidx@viasoft.com.cn> types:

Please don't send HTML to this list. Send both plain text and HTML as
you did here is even worse.

> Hi,
>
>   I have found our fcntl manual says :
>   F_DUPFD    Return a new descriptor as follows:
[...]
>                     o   The close-on-exec flag associated with the new =
> file
>                         descriptor is set to remain open across =
> execve(2) sys-
>                         tem calls.
>
> it seems close-on-exec flag is not compatible with Posix standard, Posix =
> says
> the close-on-exec flag for new descriptor is clear.

The close-on-exec flag being clear (zero) means that the descriptor
will remain open across execve calls. Unless Posix and FreeBSD don't
agree on what the close-on-exec flag being zero means, FreeBSD is
following Posix.

	<mike