Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:42:37 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SSHD Problems...

You said in your last message that if you don't want the additional
features, don't upgrade.  In short, upgrades must contain additional
features.  ie: More Crap.  very simple logic here.

>It's no
>harder than it ever was to get into a FreeBSD system, so I'm
>concluding you've just fabricated this argument from thin air to try
>and support your intended position.

I said "their idea of the ultimately good UNIX os" I didn't say that
FreeBSD currently takes a doctorate in math to get into _right now_.
If it did, then the security people would probably stop attempting to
layer more crap into FreeBSD.

>> Don't you see a disconnection from reality here?  I know I do.
>
>No, I see someone who is bitter that they were outwitted by a text
>file which tells them the step by step procedures for upgrading, and
>had this person followed the simple directions contained therein,
>they would have never had a reason to invent things to bitch and moan
>about.

Then your seeing someone who doesen't exist.

Obviously, you don't read postings very carefully.  _I'm_ not the one
that posted with the pam problem.  I _responded_ to the person that
responded to the person that you say "was outwitted by a text file which
tells them the step by step procedures for upgrading" with the comment that
took umbrage with the responders automatic assumption that the person with
the problem WANTED pam running.

In short, I was never "outwitted" because I never _had_ this problem.

>You screwed up your FreeBSD upgrade.  Admit it, and move on with your
>life.

I did not ever state that I have ever made a FreeBSD upgrade that is screwed
up, and I challenge you to find any posting here in which I did say that.
Let me give you rule #1 for flaming - before you send a flame, make sure
that your talking about something that the poster actually _did_.

My "problem" as you call it, is that I'm sick of seeing more and more
freeping creatureism, er creeping featureism in successive FreeBSD releases
that's all centered around someone's idea of better security.  Sure security
is important but so is a lot of other things and I don't recall any vote of
the userbase that said "Thou shalt exhault more security features above all
other FreeBSD features to the exclusion of all others, and thou shalest
release every new FreeBSD release with every last little security switched
turned on so that thee userbase shalt spend many days switching them off if
they don't want them"

There's nothing wrong with adding ssh, pam, Kerberos, tcpwrappers, yadda,
yadda, yadda into FreeBSD.  But, there something VERY wrong when all that
crap is switched ON by default, and after I install FreeBSD I have to waste
many minutes switching it off.  I also didn't appreciate the automatic
assumption that all FreeBSD installers _want_ MD5 encrypted passwords, the
change of which was made some time ago.

Let all the people that want all the security features switched on go
to the trouble of turning them on.