Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:02:28 -0700
From:      "Benjamin P. Keating" <bkeating@gmail.com>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk failure

Hey Dean,

Everything is a file in the UNIX world,  so copying over file for file
is no problem. be sure that you preserve permissions (aka 'archive
mode') preseriving ownership and permissions is vital.  '``cp'' should
do everything you need in this case.

Are you sure there are bad sectors? Can you attach your dmesg output
(just relative section please).

HTH
Ben