Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:05:37 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.0_2/linux_base-7.1_7 conflict when upgrading linux-realplayer

--nextPart12397154.fRCIZ9Z4mf

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:42, epilogue wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:57:41 +1030
>
> Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au> wrote:
> > Ok, I've delete linux-base, now portupgrade says:
> > Stale dependency: linux-realplayer-8.cs2_5 --> linux_base-7.1_7 --
> > manually run 'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
> >
> > I'm still have trouble understanding what to do when portupgrade asks
> > me this sort thing - well sometimes it's obvious, but often not.
> > Should I just use -O or should I fix the dependency?
>
> hello ian,
>
> have a read (or two) of this article.  it may clarify your options
> when faced with such a scenario.
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
>
> hope this helps.
>

> cheers,
> epi

Thanks epi,
Yes I've had a read of that article several times before and sometimes it=20
seems to apply to the problem I have, other times, like now, it doesn't see=
m=20
to (though that might be my interpretation).

Well I've run pkgdb -F and deleted all dependencies on linux_base-7. Then I=
've=20
installed linux-realplayer, which installed linux-base_8 as a dependency of=
=20
linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.0_2.
Hopefully linux_base-8 is now a dependency in my pkgdb for everything used =
to=20
be linked to linux_base-7.=20
Thanks for your help Joe & epi.

Cheers,