Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:47:32 -0400
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
To:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Search engine on website

> On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 01:31:54AM -0700, John Armstrong wrote:
> > Am I the only one who is pretty annoyed at the online search engine
> > at www.freebsd.org? It works great but it returns URL's rather then
> > the document titles that it is searching. This makes it especially
> > hard for newbies to find the data they are looking for as they have
> > to page through tons of results to syphon out the data they want.

        This is a particular area, that having ColdFusion Application Server
for FreeBSD would be real useful. It includes technology from Verity (Verity
Collections), that makes content indexing a charm, and makes a tag based
environment that makes working with it a snap. It can search Pages,
Databases, and numerous other formats (some Win32 specific, like M$ office
documents (may not be so portable since I believe it uses the ActiveX
controls)).

    For those that aren't familiar with it, ColdFusion is a Web Application
Middleware from Allaire Corporation in Cambridge MA
(http://www.allaire.com), that is becoming competition to Microsoft. While
the current primary opporating Environment is Microsoft Windows, there is
also a Solaris Version out there. There is also a HPUX beta, and a few linux
components there now (a full blown linux version is in the works).

    I ran into ColdFusion, when System Admin for NETDesign Inc.
(http://www.netdesign1.com), and for many things found it to be very useful.

    While it isn't the cheapest solution out there, it does lend itself to
very fast web application development. While there, I (part of a team of 4)
developed a complete Real Estate Multiple Listing Service(TM) Members System
that's expected to eliminate about 250,000 sheets of paper a year, and took
the agent away from his desk (in meanial tasks) into the field with a
laptop, where there living is really made.

    We accomplished this from start to completion (debugged) in about 3
months. It is currently servicing 2 MLS(TM) s (about 250 agents), and
several 1000 member services are ready to go on board.

    Dynamic Web Applications (with fast training, and development), is truly
the future. This is where much of the industry is going. As a consultant, I
am getting more work than I can handle in this area, and without giving
references, hehe, scary eh? The more the OS has available for that
webbrowser on the client end, the more valuable it will be in the IT
managers eyes.

    At the same time, from experience, as long as developers can access the
data they are working on, they will be happy =)  Whenever I made a FreeBSD
Solution at ND, They were more than pleased with it's working. NT on the
other hand, requires way too much time to maintain. You need to stay on top
of it daily, or risk Having to reinstall and repair/restore some very
obscure pieces of system data =(

Thank you for your minute,

Eric A. Griff,
setjmp Software                                            Your source for.
181 Genesee Street                                       custom Software
Solutions!
Suite 504
Utica, NY 13501
Office: (315) 734-1668 Extension 205          eric@setjmp.com