Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:03:50 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org, mezz@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/165318: sysutils/hal: Western Digital Passport no longer "removable"

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net> wrote:
> On 3/17/2012 18:43, mezz@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>> Synopsis: sysutils/hal: Western Digital Passport no longer "removable"
>>
>> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
>> State-Changed-By: mezz
>> State-Changed-When: Sat Mar 17 17:43:16 UTC 2012
>> State-Changed-Why:
>> Have you follow this yet?: http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q3
>
> Yes. HalFaq was followed on installation of the desktop and at that time
> the disk was correctly identified as removable.
>
> Now, when we try to mount the disk the policykit error refers to
> mount-fixed permission, not mount-removable. The users have
> mount-removable permissions (and now mount-fixed as a work around).
> The lshal output provided with the report, clearly shows that removable
> is not set. I've done tracing in hald source to see where it gets it's
> info from and it points to cam, but I'm unable to figure out how to get
> that info from camcontrol(8). If you know a way how to do that, I'll add
> it to the report.

Read in the manpage and the 'camcontrol inquiry <device>' will show
you if it's removable.

# camcontrol inquiry cd0
pass2: <TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F DW10> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
pass2: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA5, ATAPI 12bytes, PIO 8192bytes)

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz.freebsd@gmail.com - mezz@FreeBSD.org