Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2000 11:22:31 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org, peter@netplex.com.au, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Console problems on alpha with -current

>Some more info about this.  I added printfs to
>sys/dev/syscons/syscons.c in sc_attach_unit() where the decision is
>made as to whether this is the kernel console or not.  If unit ==
>sc_console_unit then it is the kernel console; otherwise it is not.
>In the (good) case of static hints, the message said:
>
>    XXX sc_attach_unit: unit=0, sc_console_unit=0
>
>In the (bad) case of dynamic hints, it said:
>
>    XXX sc_attach_unit: unit=0, sc_console_unit=-1
>
>The sc_console_unit variable is initialized to -1 and it is only set
>in one place on the alpha, in sccnattach().  It may be that in the
>case of dynamic hints, sccnattach() is never being called.

In i386, sccninit(), called by cninit() in /sys/kern/tty_cons.c,
sets sc_console_unit.

In alpha, sccninit() is not used. Instead, sccnattach() is called
as platform.cons_init() in alpha_init() in /sys/alpha/alpha/machdep.c.
platform.cons_init is set up by cpu init routines in various
platform dependent modules in /sys/alpha/alpha.

[...]
>I should mention one other thing I noticed.  When I added the printfs
>to the heretofore good case, it changed the behavior of the console.
>The rapidly blinking cursor appeared and remained in the southwest
>corner of the screen.  The colors did go to white-on-black as they
>ought to, though.  I don't know whether this change in behavior was
>caused by doing a printf at the wrong time, or whether just adding
>some code made a difference.

I guess so.  The blinking cursor should go away when syscons
is properly initialized.  But, if you put printf() in the middle of
the process, I don't know what would happen.  I suspect if you
put printf() at the end of sccnattach(), things should be OK.

>I don't think the problem is related to the ordering of the hints.
>>From looking at the code in subr_bus.c, they are all scanned at once
>and the values are saved.  After that, any initial ordering is lost.
>Something else is causing the problem.

I agree.

Kazu