Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 13:24:05 -0500
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        adhir@iagi.net, current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Subject:   Re: Help!

> >  System:  486dx2/66, 32mb RAM, 512k cache, ASUS SP3G motherboard, using
> >  onboard NCR PCI SCSI connected to 2 drives totalling 5 gigs.  Video is
> >  ATI Mach32 PCI w 2mb vram.
> >
> >  Crash description:  Freezes.  No panic messages, just freezes up solid.
>
> we just bought a DEC XL590s with NCR SCSI, 16 MB, Seagate 4 GB drive,
> [...]
> I think the key is in the cache settings.

I have had the same problem with a triton mother board P100, S3-964 video,
and an NCR disk controller.  I swapped out disk controllers with a Adaptec
ISA controller and it still hangs.  I havn't been able to get through a
make world in the src tree since I switched from a 486dx50 - opti chip set
to the 100 mhz pentium with the triton chip set.  It almost seems pci bus
related but I have no idea.  I have now disabled the external cache and I
am trying the make world again...  It is a lot slower...

Is there a method of forcing a crash dump in FreeBSD?  Once I get a hang
I would like to reset and dump the memory to see what it is up to.  Is there
any way of doing this?

	-Jim