Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:42:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslog question

I have these lines in my syslog.conf:

*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
!ipmon
*.*						/var/log/ipflog

The first line says send *.notice, kern.debug...etc to messages.  The
second line starts a block specifically referring to the program name
"ipmon".  The third line says send all errors from ipmon to ipflog.

I'm getting duplicate logging for ipf in both messages and ipflog.
It's because ipmon sends the syslog messages at the LOG_NOTICE level.

Is there any way to say in the first line "send *.notice except where
programname=ipmon to /var/log/messages"?

I read through the syslog.conf man page, but there doesn't seem to be
any way to do this.  I was just curious if anyone else has configured
something like this in syslog?

Michael Grant